Service-Learning Student Instructor Scheme
About the Programme
Our Centre emphasises that service-learning is an incomplete project, and we hope that after HKBU students have taken a service-learning course, the spirit of service, empathy and humanitarianism can carry on and be sustained. We aim at recruiting students who have taken service-learning courses and are passionate to perpetuate the spirit of service to become our student instructors. Our scheme rides on the popular concept of slasher, a person with slashed and multiple identities owing to his/her various interests, talents and thirst for different knowledge.
- Do you think that after having taken a service-learning course, you have acquired certain abilities that have expanded your identity as merely a university student?
- Are you interested in re-enacting roles as mentors, trainers and facilitators to share your talent with others in student-led programmes?
- Do you want to transform yourself into a socially responsible whole-person and organise projects that will create communal impact?
- Are you ready to engage yourself in a brand new co-working space, develop your leadership skills and serve as spokespersons for HKBU?
If you say yes to any of these questions, our student instructor scheme is where you will be able to unlock your hidden gems. Selected student instructors will be asked to design and run their own workshops in TriAngle (https://cisl.hkbu.edu.hk/triangle/), CISL’s co-working space starting from AY2020-21. This new space at HKBU provides a platform for creative minds, inspirational collaborations and creative teamwork, so we also welcome applications from students as a group.
These are some of the tasks and duties service-learning student instructors are expected to be involved in:
- Run workshops, activities and programmes according to one’s own talent
- Brainstorm, coordinate and organise student-led projects and programmes
- Help vitalise the co-working space run by the Centre for Innovative Service-Learning
- Share your expertise in your own field and discipline
Student instructors will be awarded HKD500 for each two-hour workshop. Those who perform well and maintain a consistent working relationship with CISL will receive extra opportunities, such as:
- Attend meetings and summits with senior management and our community partners: NGOs, social enterprises, philanthropies and beyond
- Share the stage with high-profile, world-renowned speakers, scholars and celebrities
- Represent CISL and HKBU as student ambassadors to speak and compete in local and international seminars and conferences
You are eligible to apply if you
- have taken at least one credit-bearing service-learning course (or have been engaged in community work, service projects and activities etc.);
- are passionate in a talent of your own and strive to pass it on to others;
- are articulative, enthusiastic and responsible, and
- are a full-time UGC-funded HKBU student.
- Send your CV and answer to the following question (within 200 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org
As a service-learning student instructor, what would you like to pass on to other students? What kind of a workshop do you have in mind? Please also indicate your experiences and involvements in service-learning.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview.