Developing Skills Beyond Academia
HKBU offers both credit and non-credit service-learning programmes that incorporate community-based learning. You can benefit academically, professionally, and personally from service- learning. Other than enhancing your understanding of your chosen discipline, you will also
- Learn more about social issues and their root causes
- Reflect on your values and beliefs
- Enhance your understanding of diverse communities and cultures
- Step out of your comfort zone and be more open to change
- Work to make a difference in the civic life of our communities
The Centre for Innovative Service-Learning endeavours to work with academic departments and support units to create and increase the number of service opportunities.
Courses in the current semester: https://cisl.hkbu.edu.hk/courses/courses-2022-2023
CISL1001 Introduction to Academic Service-Learning - CCL Recognised*
Enrol in this HKBU Moodle course to learn more about service-learning! Towards the end of the course, you would be able to:
1) Distinguish service-learning as a unique learning method from other forms of experiential learning;
2) Describe the characteristics of service-learning, its basic procedures and potential impact to the community;
3) Explain their responsibilities and code of ethics when engaging with service users and community partners.
You can also download a copy of Service-Learning Manual for Students.
*The maximum CCL units granted by the completion of online courses are capped at a certain amount. Please refer to the CCL website for registration details.